Robert D. Cohan
As a founding partner of Cohan Rasnick Plaut LLP, Attorney Cohan's practice focuses on complex business disputes, on a contingent fee basis. He has been selected as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer each year since 2011. He is a former Massachusetts Assistant Attorney General, a past lecturer for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education's Business Litigation Conference, and the author of significant articles on the subject of business litigation. He has taught and lectured in the areas of business and consumer law. He is also a past member of the Executive Board of the Boston Inn of Court, and he currently serves as co-chair of Jewish National Fund's Lawyers for Israel. He is a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association.
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Professional Liability, Personal Injury
Law School: The George Washington University Law School
Languages Spoken: English, French
Admitted: 1974, Massachusetts
Selected To: Massachusetts Super Lawyers, each year since 2011.
• Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the First Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
Lectures: Lecturer, Mass. Bar Association, Roundtable Presentation, "Key Issues Involved With Employee-Shareholders in the Closely Held Corporation", May 18, 2006; Lecturer, Mass Continuing Legal Education, Business Litigation Conference, 2003, "Enforcing Oral Agreements"; "The American Legal System-An Overview", presentation at the annual international conference of GALEXY, an affiliation of international law firms, July, 2003; Business Litigation Conference 2003, Instructor Mass. Continuing Legal Education; "The Government Lawyer" New England School of Law, Fall 1979 - Fall 1980; "First Year Writing Program" Boston University School of Law, Fall 1978 - Spring 1979; "Client Advocacy in Consumer Protection" Jointly sponsored by the University of Massachusetts and Action for Boston Community Development, Spring 1978; "Consumer Education" for high school teachers, sponsored by the Massachusetts Consumers' Counsel, Fall 1976; "General Law for Laymen", Division of Continuing Education, Southeastern Massachusetts University, Spring 1976
Writings: "Enforcing Oral Agreements", MCLE Business Litigation Conference 2003, Chapter 8; See Lawyers Regularly, Boston Business Journal Vol. 21, No. 2 (February 16-22 2001); Rights and Duties of Retail Merchants Under State Consumer Protection Laws: Emergent Doctrines and Strategies of the Defense, 18 N.E. LAW REV. part 2 (Fall, 1982); Defective Motor Vehicles: Warranty Rights and Practical Remedies for Consumer Purchasers, 65 MASS. L. REV. (No. 1) 33 (Jan. - Feb. 1980); Contempt Proceedings: Another Dimension to Consumer Protection, 14 SUFFOLK L. REV. 1 (Winter 1980); Massachusetts Mobile Home Park Law Guide, published by the Department of the Attorney General, 1978; State Protection of the Consumer: Integration of Civil and Criminal Remedies, 12 N.E. LAW. REV. 933 (Spring 1977) co-author with Paula Gold, Chief, Attorney General's Public Protection Bureau; Tenant Rights, self-help booklet, published by Onboard Legal Services, Inc., 1976
Notable Verdicts and Settlements:
• Top Verdicts and Settlements for 2011: $3.46 Million verdict award for loss wrongful firing; reported in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (December 19, 2011)
• Jury awards embezzeled business owner $2 Million from bank Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly (March 28, 2011)
• $1.6 Million settlement for loss of retirement benefits, reported in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (June 30, 2008)
• $1.24 Million arbitration award for real estate commissions, Vesper Realty Advisors Inc. v. Binswanger Management Corp (April 15, 2008), also listed as one of the most important opinions by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (January 7, 2008)
• Co-Owners collect for damage caused by town, reported in the Boston Globe (October 7, 2002) ... click for page 2 of article
• The Largest Verdicts and Settlements of 1996: $1.14 Million, Products, Prison Security System – Faulty Design And Installation- reported in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (March 3, 1997)
• The Largest Verdicts and Settlements of 1996: $820,000, Tort – Breach. Reported in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (March 3, 1997)
• Man Gets 'Lost Profits' For Business that Never Existed $500,000 - reported in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (April 17, 1995) ... click for page 2 of article
• Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S. in Economics, 1971; Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, 1963-1967